Friday, August 16, 2013

Alberobello

Today is a bank holiday in Italy, called Ferragosto.
It's usually spent on the beach, but since the weather is not fit for that and also, it's quite stressing to face the crowd of people trying to get a spot...my family and I visited a town near Bari, Alberobello.
It's a very famous place because it has the highest concentration of trulli, special buildings very common all over Apulia.


Nowadays they are mainly used as shops for turists or they are renovated to become "summer villas", since they are insulated due to their particular construction - so no need of AC! They are so cool inside!

See??! Even the church is a trullo!



Each one has a special symbol on the roof with a specific meaning, mostly of good fortune and prosperity.



I got a trullo silver charm to add to my collection and got some ideas for future works.
Hope everyone had a nice Ferragosto!

P.S. If you are curious to see more of the region I live, take a look at my Pinterest board!

No comments:

Post a Comment